Wednesday 26 August 2015

Brazil in a nutshell - Rio de Janeiro

Rio definately lived up to its expectations. The bustling party town that never sleeps set in beautiful surroundings of the sea and mountains. I stayed in a hostel in Ipanema which was in a great location, but actually getting to sleep was out of the question. It was a party hostel, and quite a contrast to the hostel in Sao Paulo!
I had the great opportunity to spend two full days with Roberto Maranhao, and his lovely family. I learnt all about Roberto's work with puppets, and how he's used them in care home settings in America. I was also interviewed by one of his puppets for a t.v. channel which was great fun!


https://m.facebook.com/pages/Roberto-Maranhao-Puppet-Ministry/421422811346154

http://www.tvbatista.com.br/

I really wanted to go and visit a Favela after seeing the one Haas and Hahn had painted.
https://www.ted.com/talks/haas_hahn_how_painting_can_transform_communities?language=en

Sadly, I wasn't able to go up this one, but I was able to get on a tour to go up Brazil's biggest favela Rocinha. Little did I know that it would involve me holding on for dear life to a motobike taxi. It was one of those moments where I thought I might actually die, as the motorbike swerved in and out of traffic on narrow steep winding roads.

Well I lived to tell the tale and it was worth it. The views from the top were amazing! Even in these basic unfinished houses, arts and crafts are still prevalent. Painted walls, sculpture and colour is everywhere.






No comments:

Post a Comment