Friday 17 July 2015

Switzerland

A week has passed since I came to Switzerland. I stayed for the weekend at Le Chablais in Huemoz, in the town of Villars. It is about an hour and a half by car from Geneva. There I stayed with artist Sara Riesenmey and her family at their chalet. www.sarariesenmey.com/

I had the opportunity to visit La Grande Dixence, as this was one of the wishes of Sara's grandma.  It is the strongest fortified dam in Switzerland and is in Valais. www.grande-dixence.ch


I had the opportunity to interview Sara's grandma, Ruth, about her lifestory, after spending a day with her and the family. I will spend time over the next week looking at ways to represent her history into textiles.

This made me think about the way we conduct lifestory work, and the importance of spending time with people and getting to know them before interviewing them. Also, the way the setting and the relationship with family members. I have been contemplating the positive and negative aspects of the language barrier, cultural misunderstandings, and the mediation of family in conducting life story interviews.

I am now in Onex,  Geneva. I have spent the week with Sara visiting the University hospital of Geneva with is nicely abbreviated to HUG, tho doesn't  mean the same in French! We have met daily with a nursing home that is situated there and have spent time getting to know six of the residents. We have been thinking through ideas of how to decorate everyday objects to tell a little of their life stories.

It has been a challenge for me as I only have a small French vocabulary, so have had to find different ways to communicate.  Pictures, experiences and music have been useful tools. It has also helped me to look at the cultural differences and similarities of people suffering with dementia.

The universality of icecream love has made me smile!  I had the opportunity to accompany two of the residents and two carers to an ice cream parlour near HUG. There is something special about sharing  a nice experience together and then using it as a basis to build a relationship. Plus I got to eat pistachio and caramel ice cream which was very tasty!

I have realised that I have chosen the best time to be staying in Switzerland as the weather is beautiful and there are music and film festivals on in the evening! I had the opportunity to go to Monteaux Jazz festival and watch Harvey Milk at the outdoor cinema next to the Geneva Lake.

No comments:

Post a Comment